WHAT ARE WELL CHILD VISITS WITH A PEDIATRICIAN?
As a mother or father, you do everything possible to protect your child and keep them well. Having your son or daughter checked by a doctor according to the recommended schedule is part of being a responsible parent. Well child visits allow pediatricians to monitor a child from a health-related perspective to ensure they remain healthy. Simply put, this is a way for parents to prevent their children from becoming ill or injured. The schedule of assessments and screenings cover a child from birth through the teenage years and beyond.
Following a “periodically schedule” developed by the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP), pediatricians who offer well child visits stick to a strict guideline that starts at three to five days of age and goes until the patient turns 21.
BENEFITS OF WELL CHILD VISITS
There are numerous benefits associated with these visits to a pediatrician, including:
- Preventative care — Along with scheduled immunizations, a visit to a pediatrician covers things like home and school safety, nutrition, behavior and exercise
- Early detection — Often, new and young parents have no clue what to look for as far as signs of potential trouble, which is another benefit of having a child seen by a pediatrician even when appearing well
- Concerns — These visits provide an opportunity for both the parent and child to address concerns like anger, sleep disturbances, poor diet and development
- Full coverage — Along with normal illnesses and injuries, well child visits allow teens and young adults to address things like sexual behavior, mental health issues and substance abuse
- Monitoring — A pediatrician monitors the development and growth of a child to ensure they stay on track for reaching different milestones
- Partnership — Parenting is tough: Well child visits create a partnership with the pediatrician for much-needed support and advice
- Education — Since these visits extend to the age of 21, they provide a platform for older teens and young adults to make wise choices regarding their health
GETTING THE MOST FROM WELL CHILD VISITS
Overall, these visits allow a pediatrician to review children as they grow. At the same time, they serve as an opportunity for parents to raise concerns, get answers and hear advice. Considering that so many childhood illnesses and injuries are preventable, it pays for parents to take advantage of these visits.
To get the most from a visit with a pediatrician, parents should schedule an appointment during a time that will not disrupt their child’s schoolwork or extra curriculum activities and bring a list of topics to discuss.
KEEP YOUR CHILD HEALTHY AND HAPPY
As a loving parent, take advantage of well child visits with a pediatrician. Both you and your child will benefit tremendously in more ways than imagined.
Request an appointment here: https://www.hgpediatrics.com or call Homero Garza MD – HG Pediatrics at (832) 709-1110 for an appointment in our Houston office.